How to Get a Job at Disney




Getting a job at Disney can seem like a daunting task. I always wondered how it was possible to get into such a large company with so many applicants to compete against. 

My advice? Just go for it!

I applied online never thinking anything would come of it. I remember browsing the website and submitting my application on a complete whim. I didn't even put any effort into it because I thought I had .00000014% chance of anyone even looking at my name. But to my surprise, that's how I ended up getting a job. 

How I applied:




1. Browsed job listings on the disney careers website.

2. Applied to jobs I was interested in. I applied to many and never heard a word back before I got a job. I'd recommend applying to as many as you can. Make sure you at least meet most of the qualifications of the job.

3. Wait, wait, wait. A recruiter contacted me about 5 months after I applied. Yes, 5 whole months!

The interview process:

4. A friendly recruiter called me and explained that she had reviewed my resume and wanted to touch base. She asked very simple questions like my working experience and where I went to school. She also explained the job and asked if I had any questions. I'm not sure if this was considered a phone interview or not because it didn't feel like one. At the end of the conversation, she asked for me to submit a cover letter and reference letters and said she would follow up with next steps.

5. The recruiter contacted me to schedule an interview. The interview was scheduled for the next week and the recruiter sent me an email with all the interview details (location, time, interviewers, etc.)

6. I interviewed with 8 people, but this is not typical. I believe interviews are normally with the manager(s) and perhaps senior manager. It depends on the position and who's available at the time. In the interview I was asked very typical questions, nothing out of the ballpark.

7. If the first interview goes well, they typically call back for a second interview with a higher up.

8. After the interviews, managers will make a decision and HR will contact the candidate with the news. In my case, they contacted me within a week after the interview.

Offer and onboarding stage:

9. After HR extending an offer and my accepting the offer, HR emailed me with all the salary and benefit details. I did not sign a contract or receive an official offer letter (not sure if this is normal or not). My offer and acceptance was verbal.

10. I was hired months before my start date, but I did not receive much communication with HR until a couple weeks before I started the job.

11. HR asked me to complete a background check.
12. After the background check came in clear, the onboarding process began. I was directed to the new hire portal to fill out lots of information. Onboarding items included a welcome to the company video, reading and agreeing to policies, submitting personal information and pay check preferences, etc.

13. That's it! You're part of the Disney family!

Stay tuned for a navigating the disney careers dashboard post.


Comments

  1. did you include a cover letter in your application, by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I did not include a cover letter when submitting the online application, but I was asked to supply one later by the recruiter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i recently applied for a job online. the status is still in submission but job status says "on hold". would you by any chance know what that means?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that "on hold" means they are holding off on hiring for this role right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! Thank you for all of your advice! I have 2 questions for you.

    1. I have applied to a couple of jobs that I feel qualified for, but the status is still "Open / Submission." How long did it take for this status to change to In Process?

    2. I have read on multiple websites that it is hard to get hired without knowing someone personally at Disney. Did you feel that this was true?

    Thanks again for your help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      1. It could take a while for the status to change to In Process. I applied a while ago and can't remember how long it took for mine.

      2. It may be harder, but not too hard. I know many, including myself, who were hired without knowing anyone from the company :).

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hey Ann, thank you for getting back to me!

      I was one of the first to apply for these positions, and it's been 2 weeks but Im still in "submission." Im hoping things start processing soon! :)

      Im so used to sending in a resume and then following up a couple of days later with a phone call, its hard to just sit and wait!

      What department of Disney are you working for? Congrats again on receiving the position! Do you love it?

      Delete
    4. Hope you hear back soon! I know the wait can be long.

      I work in accounting and it has been great so far. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hi Ann!

    Few questions:
    How long after the recruiter contacted you did it take to set up the interview?

    How was the interview process?

    How long after your interviews did it take for them to offer you the position?

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan,

      It took a week or two, if I recall correctly.

      The interview process was very smooth and the interviewers were all so friendly.

      After the first interview, I did a second round of interviews a week later, and then received an offer a couple days later.

      Hope the process goes well for you!

      Delete
  7. Hello! I've just applied for a couple jobs at Disney in hopes of landing one...

    1. do you find that your salary is fair of the job?
    2. I keep reading about the "bubbly" personality you have to have to get hired. Was this true of your interview? I feel like I'd be very confused at proper etiquette in an interview for a job at Disney World, so many mixed reviews.
    3. Do you enjoy going to work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, to answer your questions:

      1. Yes, I think the salary is fair.
      2. In the interview, it is best to be yourself (bubbly or not), show a good attitude, act professionally, and smile! When I interviewed, they hired people with both bubbly and introverted personalities.
      3. Yes! Some days are stressful, but no job is perfect and Disney is a great company to be a part of.

      Delete

Post a Comment